Wakefern Food Corp. is a member-owned retail cooperative founded in 1946 that operates 354 stores in nine Northeastern states under five distinct banners, including ShopRite, Price Rice Marketplace, The Fresh Grocer, Dearborn Market in New Jersey, as well as the recent addition of Manhattan-based Gourmet Garage stores.
As a member of the Corporate and Consumer Communications team, the Media/Corporate Communications Specialist will be responsible for managing the brand(s) reputation and day-to-day external communications that enhance the corporate and retail brands and products. This position will play a key role by securing press coverage and executing successful media campaigns across print, broadcast and corporate social media pages. He/She will create content for press releases, FAQs, media statements, articles, keynote presentations, speeches, online newsroom entries, and responses to NGO’s and other external entities ensuring brand consistency and quality, and will be responsible for managing media result measurement/analytics. The communications specialist will also be responsible for ensuring these key messages and promotions are repurposed for internal platforms, including the intranet, executive messaging, and Powerpoint presentations. In addition, this associate will serve as a gatekeeper for incoming media inquiries and interview requests; and leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts within consumer, business and industry media. He/She will prepare corporate spokespeople and other stakeholders for media interviews, video presentations and speeches, pitch news stories and produce press-worthy events.
This position is based in Edison, NJ. The Media Corporate Communications Specialist works a hybrid work schedule. Some travel within our trade area is required.
· BA/MA degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Communications or a related discipline
· 5 to 7 years proven writing/journalism experience in a corporate communications environment or public relations firm
· Proven track record in media outreach; including use of new/social media
· Strong relationships with both local and business and industry media outlets
· Exceptional writing and editing skills
· Proven ability to meet deadlines and to work independently
· Crisis communications experience
· Media event planning experience and demonstrated creativity
· Proficiency with media monitoring platforms, databases and reporting systems
· Experience in acting as a company spokesperson; comfortable and skilled in both broadcast and print media interviews; must be a confident communicator and presenter
· Excellent organizational and planning skills with a strong attention to detail
· Possess a full understanding of media needs and media relationships
· Ability to keep information confidential
· Tactical understanding of all primary social media platforms
· Proficient in still photography, video scripting and be digitally savvy.
· Strong Powerpoint skills
· Valid driver’s license
Wakefern Food Corp. is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve.